Thursday, September 30, 2010

Gougères

YAY! It's our first French Fridays with Dorie recipe: Gougères!

I made them last week, tweeting along with several, long-time TWD-ers and it was so much fun. These little bites are un'esplosione di formaggio. I was extremely surprised by their texture; akin to a cream puff, as they were hollow and slightly damp on the inside but golden crisp on the outside. I made them with gruyere (most delicious cheese everrrr) but am intrigued to experiment with other cheeses as well (my Dad is not a big gruyere fan. In fact, he's not one to really branch out much in the realm of food and cooking, which should make this experience highly interesting. . .). In any case, I hope I don't get yelled at because I didn't get a picture of the finished product before these babies were devoured. I won't make that mistake again. I do, however, have an image of my *in progress* dough on the stove. I hope this will suffice for this week and I'll be good next week, taking plenty of pictures of Gerard's Mustard Tart.

Bon appetito i miei amici. xo

P.s. I may be whipping up some cream puffs in the very near future. It is such a perplexing, yet very easy dough!!!

7 comments:

  1. I'm laughing at how many "Doristas" have had trouble keeping any of these around long enough to photo! I have rules about that in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it; Doristas! :) So cute. I know, I'm going to have to lay down a law about photographing lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard, though, not to just eat them all in rapid succession!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly addictive. We'll all just have to make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone here knows that FIRST, I grab the prettiest ones for pictures, and THEN they may eat what's left. :-) I used sharp cheddar, and they were great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course they didn't last long enough to photograph! I'm so glad you liked them and are game to take on your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, that's a great marketing technique- who doesn't want to try food that was devoured before a picture was taken?! Yum!

    ReplyDelete