Friday, October 8, 2010

What A Surprise!


French Fridays with Dorie. Post #2.
I made Gerard's Mustard Tart last night for dinner. . . What an interesting dish! It was really tasty!! Even my picky eater of a Dad loved it!!!!! (SHOCKER) To be honest, I wasn't really sure what to expect, but the delicate mustard flavor was certainly a pleasant surprise (and is what my Dad enjoyed most). I have to admit, I did not exactly follow the instructions, because. . .well, I was out and about all day until about 4:30 when I came home, read the recipe, and saw how long I was supposed to be chilling the dough! YIPES!!!!! My bad. . . so, that didn't happen. I got the dough together and chilled it in a disc for about an hour before I pressed it into my tart dish and immediately popped it in the oven to partially bake. And then again, I took the crust out of the oven and immediately poured in the filling; no messing around with waiting for the crust to cool (I just didn't have time for that!) Despite all of my poor planning and skipping steps, it came out fabulously! . . .thank goodness! :) Someone was on my side.

It was a yummy dish that we all really enjoyed! My parents might like it even more than I do! Funny, huh?! I think I'd really like to try the traditional recipe using tomatoes rather than carrots and leeks; those flavors sound totally delicious to me. This time around I may have used too many veggies (step-Mom disagrees; she loved all the veg). It was jammed packed (using 3 carrots and 3 leeks- they must have been much larger than what Dorie/Gerard used). So, next time, I think I'll lighten the load and see what happens. This one will definitely be making it to the table again, in some form or another! :)

Bon appetito miei amici! xo

5 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with cramming in lots of veggies--yours looks beautiful! (and I love your pie plate, too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lexi :) I think all those veggies just threw the texture off a bit; it was definitely delish, though. I had another piece for lunch this afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I made this for my dad, as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see nothing wrong with adding lots of stuff! I did. I'll be making it again too! (With lots of stuff!)

    ReplyDelete